Construction Errors Cost Billions
The Get it Right Initiative is dedicated to eliminating error in the UK construction industry.
Our Members include clients, consultants, contractors, regulators, educators, professional institutions and trade bodies. We are working together to raise awareness across the sector with a focus on changing culture and attitudes, and improving knowledge, decision-making and planning skills.
1. Direct cost of avoidable errors
Key international studies suggest that the direct costs of avoidable errors are in the order of 5% of project value. This equates to approximately £5Bn per annum across the UK.
2. Total cost of avoidable errors
When unrecorded process waste, latent defects and indirect costs are included, the situation gets much worse with estimates of total costs of error ranging between 10% and 25% of project cost or between £10–25Bn per annum across the sector.
3. Error generating activities
Working with our study group and members of their supply chains, we identified and ranked the construction activities which generate the most losses through error. In doing this we differentiated between building and civil engineering projects.
Find out more in our reports
We’re building a better UK construction industry, and you can be involved in the following ways:
- Find out more about the issues by reading our reports
- Join us for upcoming events and discover how experts in the Industry are creating solutions for error reduction
- Commission an ‘Avoidable Construction Errors Workshop’ for your business and learn how to make the most of the ‘Get It Right’ approach
- Subscribe to our news updates and follow us on Social Media to keep up to date with developments
- Become a member or associate of our Initiative and work with us to steer the agenda and help improve your industry.
Find out about avoidable error in the UK Construction Industry, and what you can do about it, through our informative events
GIRI Annual Review
The Get It Right Initiative reports on its achievements over the last year and its plans for the future going in to 2020.
GIRI with Constructing Excellence Midlands
Seminar about Driving Quality Improvements in Construction
The Get It Right Initiative research is in four parts:
Call to Action
We provide a range of courses specifically tailored to your company’s needs.
Learn how you can minimise waste, avoid errors and save money.
Avoidable Construction Errors
A half-day workshop for senior managers from all disciplines that considers the impacts of avoidable construction errors, examines their ‘root causes’ and explores approaches to avoid them.
Workshop: Planning to Avoid Errors for Operatives
This course is aimed at all operatives and supervisors on UK construction sites. The course has been designed to be delivered on operational construction sites, at any stage in the delivery of a project.