GIRI forum: In the construction industry, time is of the essence. How can we plan our time to avoid error?
Date: Monday 19th July 2021
Time: 1:00pm - 2:30pm
Cost: Free (Open to GIRI members and industry professionals)
The latest event in GIRI's fourth series of discussion forums will focus on the role of proper time management and planning has to play in error reduction.
Nick Francis from GIRI Training & Consultancy will run the workshop, guiding participants to explore: why we are under constant time pressure; how we actually spend our time; how we should spend our time; and what techniques we can use to make better use of our available time to prevent errors in construction.
- The session will start by considering an idealised construction industry to identify how we should spend our time. We will then compare this with how we actually do spend our time, and identify if, and why, these are different.
- An introduction to the ‘Eisenhower Matrix’, where tasks and activities are classified based on their relative importance and relative urgency.
- Group discussion to explore how this matrix relates to the GIRI root causes of error.
- Breakout group discussions to explore practical measures that can create the capacity to plan, think, and pause.
- An exploration of delegation and automation looking at why these are so difficult to achieve when everyone is busy.
- Structured group discussions will then explore how we can best use our time now to reduce error in the future.
The workshop will conclude with participants sharing their individual reflections on how organisational cultures can influence the way a project manages its time, drawing together the key priorities to effectively manage time pressures and thereby create the conditions to prevent error.
- The Eisenhower Matrix: https://todoist.com/productivity-methods/eisenhower-matrix
- Flexible working in Construction (News Article): https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.bbc.com/news/business-57486111.amp
- How to multiply your time (TEDx Talk): https://youtu.be/y2X7c9TUQJ8
- Managing the Hyperactive Hive Mind (A world without email): https://youtu.be/7EIeHsH-0kk?t=83
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Registration closes at midday on Friday 16th July. Meeting link will be sent out after registration closes.